On 12/02/04 17:36, "tivo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi, folks. I recently purchased a 120gig La Cie external HD that is attached
> by Firewire to my G3 iBook OSX, 900Mhz.
>
> I thought I could simply drag the iBook desktop hard drive icon onto the La
> Cie icon on my desktop and everything would be copied. I then copied all
> desktop items into a separate folder on the external drive.
>
> Is this the correct way to do this to back up the iBook? When I click on
> iTunes on the La Cie it opens the iTunes panel that is in my iBook dock. One
> of the main reasons I purchased the external drive is for music (I lost a HD
> once, AND the music went with it; I wish to avoid this occurring again).
>
> How can I tell if the music library is on the external drive? With iTunes in
> OS9 I was able to access the files themselves and duplicate, remove, etc.,
> items; this doesn't seem to be possible with OSX and the newer iTunes.
>
> Can I ( should I?) leave the external drive on (all the time?) when the
> iBook is operating, and is there an automatic save to the external drive
> when I save to the IBook (same Word files for instance or import of an album
> to iTunes), or must other paths be constructed?
>
> As you can see, this is a first outing here and I don't have much info or
> understanding. Anything guidance would be appreciated.
>

> Thank you, Tivo

If you want to clone your iBook drive to make it bootable, then you should
use "Carbon Copy Cloner". This will create an exact duplicate of your iBook
hard drive that you will be able to use to startup the iBook. I think there
are some options to synchronize an already cloned drive to its clone within
Carbon Copy Cloner, but I'm not sure as I have never used it.

iTunes doesn't have the ability to maintain a backup copy like Word. Think
of somebody who has over 29,000 songs and you'll realize why!

However, that being said, I regularly synchronize my iTunes music folder
from my Pismo to my PowerMac using <shameless plug> my shareware
synchronization tool, File Synchronization </shameless plug>. There is the
iTunes music library file that needs to be synchronized and, of course, the
iTunes music folder.

I'd be happy to answer any additional questions you might have regarding the
synchronization process at nemesys <at> verizon <dot> net.

-Laurent.