I've got four machines that are running Panther with the same problem. Three are PowerBooks and one is a Tower (which is why I'm crossposting to the GX list). The all work well with one exception. The setting for Personal File Sharing in the File Sharing system preference doesn't stick. I'll turn it on then do a restart and poof, it's off.

Two of the machines are brand new and very clean (little or no third party stuff). The other two had OS X recently installed and are likewise clean.

I can vaguely recall hearing something about this but of course that's about all I can recall about it, hearing of it. File Sharing works fine and it starts up manually okay following a restart but that's not good.

All four are on either on a wireless or wired connection to a router (they are on two distinct networks). I've set this up on OS X.2 with no problems.

Does anyone know about this?

TIA
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA