At 6:18 pm +0000 22/2/04, Tom Burke wrote:
However, I've found that if I accidentally hit a key on the external keyboard when the PB is sleeping (lid shut), the system wakes up - the external screen comes on, I can work, etc - but if I then open the screen on the PB it remains blank, as if it were still asleep. Furthermore closing the lid when it's in this state doesn't send it back to sleep; the external display stays on, etc. The only way to re-establish normal operations is to disconnect the external display, which I don't want to do because when I later reconnect it the whole system loses the display resolutions I've set up on both components.

So the question is - when a PB with external equipment is woken up by means of an accidental keyboard operation, how can I can get the base unit to fully wake as well?

I used my TiBook this way for quite a while (lid shut, big LCD monitor and external KB and mouse). I think Apple figure that if you use it with the lid shut, you don't want the built-in display on (I certainly don't). Just choose Sleep from the Blue Apple. To use the built in screen again, I usually disconnect the external monitor and then open the lid. As for getting the base unit to 'fully Wake', surely it is awake if, as you say, you can work, etc. If you want to use the built-in and external monitors together I think you need a trip to System Preferences.
--
With best wishes,

Roger Shufflebottom