"Larry le Mac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I have a 500MHz Pismo with a noisy 20GB drive.
>
>Mayby I should say whiney as I doubt the drive is
>about to expire.
>
>I am currently trying to eliminate all grey sounds from
>my office room as I really suffer from noise polution,
>and now that I have blocked the air vent etc. it's the
>ac which makes the most noise.
>
>Grinding, hammering and so on doesn't bother me
>the slightest, but humming, whining drives me up the
>phu**ing wall...
>
>Anyway, my questing is this, is there anything one can
>do other than actually replace the drive ?
>
>I have set the drive to stop automatically but there always
>seems to be a reason for it to start again immediately...

About the only thing I can think of is to put the drive in an
external firewire case and then soundproof it somehow (put it
in a drawer or something).

My Pismo's original hard drive developed a very loud and very
annoying whine.  It was always a bit on the loud side, but it got
a lot worse.  So much so that I no longer wanted to use it. :(

I considered an external enclosure for the hard drive, but I figured
that if was making that much noise that the drive might be likely to
fail soon; so I bit the bullet and got a new hard drive:

  <URL:http://www.transintl.com/store/category.cfm?Category=2300>

Very quick; very fast; very pleasant to use (again!)

There are less expensive drives available, but make sure to at least
get one with fluid bearings.  A larger cache (at least 8MB) is good
too.

Hope this helps,

-Jeff    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--
"You can't brew a premium lager with a kool-aid mentality."  --Harold Green
in _The_Red_Green_Show_