You should create an appropriate "Location". Open Network Preferences, create a new location, say "Wireless", and in this location leave only Airport as an active network port. This way your mac will not try to use the internal modem; and keeping a separate location which does use the modem will let you easily fall back to that when needed (if, say, you need to connect when you're somewhere else).

Luis

Today I installed an Airport Base Station M5757 (Graphite) and, in my
Dual-USB iBook, an Airport Card 8.2001 and also added a Linksys BEFSR41
Router, v.3.

    This has been followed by some very unusual behavior when I am connected
to the internet via the iBook through the above setup.

    1.  Very annoyingly, every time I turn airport on and then try to
download mail the modem fires up and tries to dial out.  Also, when I do a
Restart, Just before the desktop is fully loaded, specifically as the
desktop menubar items begin to fill in, I get an alert message from Internet
Connect saying something like the modem is unable to establish a connection,
indicating that it is trying to dial out as soon as the desktop loads!  This
despite having gone to Network preferences > Modem and checked Wait for dial
tone before dialing.  This is really a pain and something I haven't
experienced since moving to OS X.  How the devil do I stop this?