Mark,

A quick question: do you want one partition devoted solely to Users? I mean, are you seeking to get a "Users" volume mounted on the desktop like "Macintosh HD" or whatever your boot volume is named? I'm assuming that you do.

You need to use /etc/fstab which became support in Jag. Should still work. Let me know if you need the dirty details. And yes, you'll still need to use NetInfo to do it properly.