On Friday, March 5, 2004, at 04:09 AM, Luis Sequeira wrote:

Sorry for the OT post, but it does involve an iBook, so I hope it is appropriate.

In my TiBook, I use Eudora to do mail and keep attachments in a folder on the desktop.
I have a Folder Action associated to the attachments folder, which immediately deletes the files which are more or less obviously pc viruses (i.e. files ending in .pif, etc). Very handy, since I tend to receive dozens a day.

Bitch at your ISP; solutions exists to virus-protect their servers, and it's in their interest to do so, since it reduces the number of spam/DDOS zombies on their network, thus reducing the impulse of sysadmins like me, who keep getting bombarded by these %#^$%# viruses and spam emanating from their systems, wanting to come over and whack them on the head with a clue-by-4.

FWIW, we're simply automatically blocking any attachment that ends in .exe, .scr, .bat, .pif, and since last week, all .zip files as well. That really pisses me off! All the others were not useful, but .zip files are used legitimately; having to block them is causing a hassle (though it's getting Stuffit installed on more systems, since we're not having to block .sit or .tgz files...yet...)

A colleague of mine wanted to do the same on her iBook. The problem is she uses Mail, and I can't figure out where attachments are being kept. I tried the system help and google to no avail.

Can anyone point me to a place where i can see the explanation on how Mail handles attachments?

Mail handles attachments by leaving them as part of the mail message. Eudora is the odd man out in this respect; I don't know of any other mail program that separates the attachments automatically like that. This causes an endless hassle with IMAP mail service, since Eudora users are used to the conventions that all their mail with attachments is automatically separated. It isn't, since with IMAP systems, the mail store is kept on the server, so the big e-mails just build up..

If you want to save the attachments separately from the message, you have to explicitly do so, by either clicking on and saving the attachment or dragging it to a folder.

The solution here is to keep marking these virus messages as junk, then they get moved to the Junk folder.

--
"Wherever you go, there you are." - B. Banzai, Ph.D.
Bruce Johnson