If the OSX partition is the first one on the disk (i.e. was at the top of the list when you formatted the volume), you should be able to boot from that partition by holding down the 'D' key when rebooting the Powerbook. If I remember right, that attempts to boot from the first partition on the internal drive.

Also, doesn't the system look for an OSX boot volume if you hold down the 'X' key?

I'm pretty sure either of these should work. Anyone else confirm one or both?

Hope that helps.
-Hal