I haven't had experience with panther per se, but previous experience tells me that if the system was used afterwards it is likely some of the storage locations of the file have been reused and that the allocation tables have been wiped too. Thus, there is a good possibility that all that is remaining are blocks of portions of the file. If only a few small files have been created on the computer since the accidental deletion, the odds are better. Recovery would likely involve examination of all the unallocated storage and fitting the pieces back together like a jigsaw puzzle with no guarantee that a lot of the puzzle has not been lost.

The is still however, a possibility you may get lucky and the allocation tables and storage are intact.

Paul