[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>Oh yeah... I forgot to mention that I'm running OS 9.2.2.  So I've
>adjusted the memory usage per app, as suggested.  What about using a ram
>disk (not virtual disk) for browser cache, and have the ram disk saved on
>shut down?  Wouldn't that speed up web browsing?  What about using virtual
>memory?  There are a lot of different opinions on this topic, and I'd love
>to hear some from this group.

Use RAM doubler 3 and don't ask for more RAM, just keep the same. Then
give all main apps 2-3 more times the max amount of RAM. RD will manage
your memory very well at close to no performance cost. I did this for
years and never had a trouble where RD was the culprit.
If you don't won't to use RD3, set Apple VM to on, unless you're using
realtime critical apps like audio ones or video like Final Cut, or
Photoshop 5 and later, Indesign, GoLive, and other graphics heavy
applications. Besides that type of applications, VM on give better
performance. At least under 9.2.2 in my experience.

A RAM disk could speed up browsing of course. Have you checked the cache
in the browser. How long since you installed the OS? defragged the HD?

Also check what extensions you're running.