On Mar 30, 2004, at 5:53 PM, Hoju Dingo wrote:

I don't know if it is relevant but I've experienced loss of OS X preferences
for Mail periodically. It occurs mainly when I'm using a number of applications
but particularly Safari and Mail which seem to be memory hungry and when I've only (!!)
had around 500MB free disk space on the system partition. Presumably the number of swap
files (each is about 76MB) in /var/vm keeps increasing to use up all disk space on the
system partition and then Mail cannot save back preferences properly. Perhaps this happens
also for other application preferences.

I'm currently running OS X 10.2.6 on a Pismo/400Mhz/512MB/40GB with 5 partitions:
12GB main partition with OSX/OS9; 6GB partition with previous OSX version; 2 8GB partitions
for data and a 3GB partition for temporary stuff (now stuffed with music files!).

This situation seems to me to be a good argument for not using partitions. In my experience, I can never accurately anticipate the future need for space on a partition. I stopped using them a few years ago.

I'm using an Aluminum 15" PowerBook G4 with an 80GB hard drive, with 768 MB RAM. So far, I've put about 20 GB on it

Regards,

Harry Corsover

    Harry Corsover, Independent Business Owner
        CyberWize: The Home Business Solution
        Amazing Travel * Health * Tax Benefits
           <http://www.hc.cyberwize.com>
      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> * 877-507-9562