Hi.

I don't know if anyone else has had a problem with an external monitor. I've had one and have solved it.

The Problem:
If I have an external monitor attached when I power up my PB (Jaguar-only install), I'd end up with a blank screen on both the LCD and the external monitor. If I'd boot up without the monitor attached, I couldn't re-direct the display (Detect Displays didn't do anything)

The First Workaround:
Start with monitor attached. Unplug external monitor when the "swirly thing" shows up on the gray boot screen. Plug the monitor back in when the disk sounds stop.

The Better Solution:
I found a bit of code from University of Utah Student Computing Labs which changed the screen resolution from the command line. I modified it to use a resolution that both the LCD and the external monitor could live with, wrapped it up as a startup process, and dropped it in the appropriate system library. Result -- PB starts fine with external monitor attached, or not. Easy switch of resolution when external monitor attached via the menu bar thingee.

If anyone wants details, contact me offline.

Yours in Macdom,

tpzahm <insert 'at' symbol here> newted <insert 'dot' here> org.