Jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> asks:
>One of my expansion bay VST zip 100 drive modules for my Pismo is dead.
>  I suspect it's just the zip mechanism that's gone, and not the
>"bridging" board inside the module.  Since I don't need another zip
>drive, that left me wondering what options I might have for putting
>OTHER devices in the module, such as hard drive, flash media readers,
>Firewire 800 / USB2 adapters, or even CD-R mechanisms.  I'm
>brainstorming here!  What great ideas do you all have? Where might I
>buy the needed part(s) and what adaptors or drivers might be needed?  I
>want to have some fun with this, and you can be a part of it!

Open the EBM and take a look at what you've got. A cheap-ass Zip drive
(really! take a look at it!), a dumb (no electronics) interface board and
a plastic and sheet metal shell. Examine the interface board and try to
imagine what other devices might possibly share that peculiar Zip-drive
connector.

Sorry I'm being a wise-guy, but I have yet to see any device that shares
that [EMAIL PROTECTED]&& Zip-drive connector. I've had the same idea as you, but
sadly I've found nothing to replace it except another Zip drive. :-(

Yeah, I suppose one could fabricate another interface connector from the
existing Zip connector on the IF board to some other connector type, but
that sure seems like a lot of bother. Maybe I'm prejudiced though, 'cause
my general opinion of Zip drives is - the farther you can throw it the
better off you'll be. <G>

If for some unknown reason (perhaps you're masochistic? :-) you wanted to
just replace the Zip mech with another, you can find them on eBay.

I've got a lot of such EBMs as this and if only for completeness I really
should get around to putting up some details and pics on my EBM page
(though I haven't yet):
     <http://mywebpages.comcast.net/macdan/ebms.html>

Dan K

http://macdan.n3.net/