Paul Nicholson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I've been told the metal covers on the screen are glued together and
>you have to use heat to get them apart. It is difficult to do. Apple
>just replaces the whole assembly.
I used a hairdryer as a heat source when I pulled apart a TiBook screen,
but I've since discovered Apple uses a two part acrylic adhesive which
probably doesn't soften with heat. I don't know if using heat helped with
my own take-apart, but I suppose it didn't hurt either.

Biggest problem with the take-apart is avoiding distorting the LCD's
front bezel, a very fragile, easily bent part. I peeled it off very
slowly and carefully, using a long thin flat wooden wedge to gently pry
and peel it loose from the LCD. Even with great care however, once I had
it off I still had quite a job getting the dang thing flat again (a
little metal-working experience paying off.) :-)

and Scott Howe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> chimed in with:
>You are in for one hell of a hard time if you plan on replacing that screen
>yourself. I've done it twice and it's a long laborious job.
This is certainly so, Apple didn't plan on TiBook LCD or hinge
replacement to be Customer Installable Parts. :-)

The OP wasn't looking for this, but here's something regarding the
adhesive I wrote back when Scott was doing his above-mentioned LCD
replacements, and hopefully no one will mind if I repost it now:
I've wondered what sort of adhesive Apple used in the TiBooks as I
currently have a pair of disassembled TiBooks and would like to shtick
'em back together again. Recently I stumbled across some relevant info in
one of Apple's patents, "patent number 6,574,096 - Use of titanium in a
notebook computer".

It's got lots of details on the TiBook's design and construction, plus it
has interesting 'discussions' about Ti glue - go down about 2/3 of this
page (or just repeatedly search the page for 'glue'):
<http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=/netah
tml/search-adv.htm&r=80&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&s1=apple.ASNM.&p=2&OS=AN/apple&RS=A
N/apple>

>From the above page:

"Virtually any type of glue suitable for bonding injection molded
materials to titanium or titanium alloys may be used. An exemplary glue
suitable for use in various embodiments of the present invention is
Lord's glue 201/19 manufactured by the Lord Corporation of Cary, N.C."

Here's on Lord Corporation's web site is their "Engineered Adhesives"
page:
<http://www.lord.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=520>

I had a heck of a time finding just what sort of glue is '201/19', but
eventually found infos in this doc:
<http://literature.lord.com/root/other/Metal_Bonding_Selector_Guide.pdf>

ACRYLIC ADHESIVES - LORD 201/19
Applications - Bare metals, plastics and composites
Working Time - 5-8 minutes
Handling Time - Fast, 12-16 minutes
Full Strength - 2 hours, heat cure typically not recommended
Easy to dispense, Self-leveling
Comments - Minimal surface preparation, fast cure, good environmental
resistance.

Permatex makes something which appears to be a similar product called
PermaPoxy 5 minute Plastic Weld. I recently bought some in a local auto
parts store. It does stick very nicely to metals and plastics, but it's
best used in a well ventilated area as the fumes are ferocious!

Dan K

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700
hotline://dankephoto.dhs.org:9500