This is a sometime problem I run into on my Wallstreet. It's something goofy with the power manager I guess. You should be able to get the back lighting on by hitting the brightness control on the keyboard. That's a start but doesn't solve the problem, if it goes to sleep the backlighting won't come back on. To fix it restart into OS 9, put it to sleep, wake it up and then restart back into OS X and hopefully, all is well.

Like James said, he tried to boot into Mac OS 9, but somehow he couldn't.
I suggest resetting the PRAM (Cmd+Opt+P+R at startup until you hear the chime about four or five times, then release the keys). That, in principle, should make the Wallstreet boot into Mac OS 9 (which is the default OS for this machine), so that your suggestion could be applied.

Luis