On Apr 14, 2004, at 9:42 AM, Michael Levin wrote:

...I would like to use my
Power Book G4 in the car... Are there any
cables or plugs that would allow me to use the auxiliary power supply (AKA
cigarette lighters) in the car?

The cheapest is probably an inverter - takes the car's 12V DC to 120V AC so you can just plug in your usual power adapter. I did this last week on an 1600-mile RT drive to Indiana. I had 2 inverters - one that just handled 75W & had one plug (T-shaped body, no cord) got too hot in my opinion. My (I *think*) 300W brick (with a cord that plugs into the outlet, and 2 outlets in the body to plug whatever into) worked much better. But note my car outlets are labeled as handling 120W max combined load, fine for my 65W 17" PB & my husband's GPS, but you wouldn't be able to take advantage of the full capacity of the inverter!

Obviously there are losses this way, compared to getting a DC power supply for your powerbook (which DOES exist) but if it's a short-term, occasional use this seems fine. Plus it's so flexible - you can use it for any low- to medium-power item that would plug in - charging other electronics, whatever.

I got each of my inverters from Costco, in their auto aisle - they carried the 2 types at different times. I know other places carry them.

(BTW, off topic, but if anyone cares - the Prius loved the flat country in IN way better than hilly CT - 54 MPG on a cruise into Indianapolis.)

Anne