On 5/10/04, Clyde Kahrl wrote:

>I just picked up this from slashdot :
>
>http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/04/05/10/1024231.shtml?tid=137&tid=180
>
>I'm not sure what we are allowe to say about it.

These ones Apple (so far as I would guess) won't care about - they are
photos done by the people at PBFixit, and not copies of the Apple Tech
Repair Manuals (which Apple will hound you down about via their legal
eagles, undoubtedly). Apple's always been VERY protective about their
(copyrighted) Tech Repair Manuals, and I know in the past even mentioning
a link which was to a place with the Apple TRM's was highly a no-no!

But some sites have sprung up where people have taken their own photos,
written their own descriptions of the take-apart procedures for various
models. Since *how* a computer is taken apart (SFAIK) is not
copyrightable, Apple's objection is to copying their intellectual
properties (as in, the actual photos and descriptions of the steps to be
taken). Heck, if you give the parts different names, you might even be
able to try to claim your procedure was a copyrighted work, I suppose...
;-)

And here's another site with directions that Apple hasn't told to take
down (pick your PB model, up through the TiBooks):

http://www.powerbooktech.com/knowledge.htm

My (non-legal) $0.02 about the matter,

Jim Rohde

Disclaimer:  Since the boss can't fire me,
             I don't care whose opinions anyone
             thinks these are....