From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mikael=20Bystr=F6m?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PB G4 fan replacement, options?
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:41:13 +0200

I'll soon have a PB G4/400 that have a fully functional fan, but it won't
spin up in time, sitting quiet for most of the time. Therefore the
machine gets quite hot.

Anyone know how to make it spin up sooner? Reset the motherboard/
detectors somehow?
My first thought though, was to replace the fan with a thirdparty fan
that have its own heat detector that could lie close to the processor
perhaps, like in a desktop PC. But what kind of fan is it? I couldn't
find any info on that in the repair manual.
Where is the best international source for laptop fans and information
about them? Suggestions are very welcome.

The fan in a TiBook is bonded to the upper housing, back center. There isn't room to put anything close to the processor, since it is covered by the heat sink/extraction tube assembly. Plus the 'Book is so thin there isn't room for anything else anyway. Perhaps the heat sink isn't dissipatingn enough heat? I have a 500mhz and the fan rarely comes on, usually when I am running Virtual PC for over an hour at a time. You might try putting some thermal compound on the top of the processor, under the heat sink contact.

---
JSH
TiBook