Thanks much for the feedback. Didn't work. Assume that you refer to the library prefs in the user directory. Didn't see that they got replaced after deletion (replaced manually from backup archive), even after reboot into barebones and boot into user. Somewhat concerned about nuking the loginwindow.plist from the main library/preferences. The hunt is on.

Sure miss conflict catcher....

How come login hangs after a Panther crash? Have to reboot and login
to a bare bones user before I can log in to my main user? Suspect
that a pref file gets/is corrupted. What should I delete?

try "com.apple.systempreferences.plist" in "~/Library/Preferences. That helped me with a similar, but not identical problem. You can also try and remove "com.apple.loginwindow.plist".

After that, you'd 'have to go for a hunt. Follow Laurents advice.