> on 12/05/04 23:02, [EMAIL PROTECTED] at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> So, any clues as to what causes CCC to hang and how to stop it?  C ould the
>> speed of the HD's be a factor?  My Pismo has a 7200rpm drive, while the Ti
>> has a 4200 rpm drive.  Any ideas?
>
> That would be most likely some disk problems. The speed doesn't matter at
> all. Make sure you double-check the resulting clone carefully before doing
> anything harmful to the original as even if Synchronize Pro seems to do the
> trick, I wouldn't be surprise if your cloned disk would be unusable.
>
> -Laurent.

Thanks Laurent.  I wasn't planning to nor did I do anything to the original;
it remains safe.  Why wouldn't you be surprised?  Synchronize did not
succeed.  (Thus, all failed: CCC, Synchro Plus, SuperDuper, etc.)  What it
made was unbootable, but now I just installed a new system over the clone
and am finding most of the copied apps are fine.  Still no useable clone out
of the gate though.  What kind of disk problems could cause this?  I
repaired permissions, wiped the target, and the target seems to work fine
with fresh installs off the x installer disks...damn mystery.

> The disk speed shouldn't have anything to do with it and since I have used
> SuperDuper to create a disk image over the network I'm certain that isn't
> the problem either. My guess is a problem with either the target or source
> drive.

What could be the problem(s)?

> As a matter of course, I always repair permissions and run Disk Utility
> before cloning a drive. I either clone to a freshly initialized partition or
> a disk image so the target is clean.

Ran permission repair.  Was trying to clone to another PB in Target Mode.
Is that possible?  What do you mean exactly by cloning to a disk image?  Do
you mean make a disk image of the source to expand on the target drive?  The
.dmg is not bootable, is it?

> david

Thanks David.

> I ran into a similar issue with CCC and cloning my internal powerbook
> drive to an external 2.5" laptop drive. Started out working fine, and
> then one day, it would just hang. I had another, but smaller 2.5"
> drive, so I swapped drives and the issue didn't appear. Swapped the old
> drive back in and I had the same problem. I ended up buying a new case
> for $50 or so and I haven't had any issues since.
>
> Steve Fuller

Hi Steve,

You put the problem drive in a new case and you were then able to use ccc to
clone to the problem drive?