Hi folks,

I have a Powerbook G3 (Lombard) with 192 MB of RAM. In an effort to move to OS X, I was advised to get a USB external hard drive to install it on, because my internal drive is small (4 GB). So yesterday I purchased a Maxtor 80 GB external hard drive.

I was disappointed to read on page page 7 of the users guide that "Maxtor does not support using the drive as a start-up disk for the Macintosh." But that's the very reason I got this drive -- to install OS X on! Sure enough, while this 80 GB USB drive shows up on my desktop in OS 9.2, I'm unable to get it to show up on Drive Setup, and therefore unable to update the driver, initialize it, or partition it. Drat!

So my two questions for the G-Books list are:

1. Is there a work-around, or a hack-around (with ResEdit) to get this USB drive to show up on Drive Setup, and later, to show up on the startup disk control panel?

2. If "no" to question 1, is there some other USB external hard drive that might be recommended to me as a start-up disk on which to install OS 10.3?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Greenfield Bowie