At 09:44 PM -0600 05/03/2004, Harry D. Corsover wrote:
On May 3, 2004, at 9:02 PM, Geoffrey Loeffler wrote:
Take one days junk and send all of it to you ISP support address, with a letter from you saying I get this everyday, please stop it. If this little mac mail can filter 50 or 200 and miss one a day, certainly the ISP's can do a better job,

IF they're actively filtering, then letting that many spams through to you is a bit much. But

if no complaints, the ISP will ignore it.

this simply is NOT true. For every one you receive, the ISP is blocking *hundreds* if not *thousands* of spams. That so few get by is because they already have someone dedicated to managing those filters. He's probably working his a** off already. Dumping more spam on him is NOT helping.

You are directing your abuse complaints to the wrong place. This is NOT your ISP's problem. You need to send the abuse complaints to the originating server's ISP, with copies to the FTC ([EMAIL PROTECTED])! THEY are the ones that need to stop the flow. The FTC is coorelating the spams per the CAN-SPAM law, as evidence to sue the spammers. Your ISP is just the poor sucker caught in the middle, operating the dam, trying to keep you dry.

(and Harry responded)
I'm unwilling to use ISP-level filtering. Even one missed legitimate email is too much. With Mail's filters, I can catch the false positives right away, as I scan new mail (which I do many times a day). With EarthLink's system ("Spaminator?") I'd have to go to the web site and sift through a much larger list (unless I checked it 8 or 10 times a day).

IMO, this is exactly the right way to do it; filter locally and verify periodically. Given the environment created by Uncle with that @#$%ing CAN-SPAM law, the flood gates are opened. Depending on someone else to do your filtering is a crutch that will bite you.

- Dan.