on 5/2/04 8:50 PM, G-Books at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> To reply to a couple of notes here: I am talking about a 600mhz iBook,
> so it can boot into OS9. In fact I have tried that, where I have seen
> the monitor-spanning phenomenon. I tried booting from a couple of OS9
> CD's and ran Drive Setup to erase the HD first, but still get the
> message I can't run the installer on this computer. I then re-installed
> Panther, making sure to install OS9 drivers. I can, however, update the
> driver on the disk from an OS9 CD.

iBook 600!  Hahahahahah!

But aside from the fact that you are futzing with a lemon--(I HATE my 600
iBook! HATEHATEHATEHATE!  AND I hate them ALLL!  BWAHAHAHAHA!)--are you
installing from a generic install CD or a burn or model specific cd?  Latter
two might be problematic.  Also, has your unit been in for Apple service?
Some of the repairs they have done on these lemons involves ripping out--er,
carefully removing the old MB completely and slapping in--er, replacing them
with a newer one with new ROMS which DO NOT boot 9.

iBooks!  The world's greatest laptop!

Okay, you there, I will say this:  Tough case, yes indeed.  My buddy has
virtually drop-kicked his halfway to Afganistan and aside from the
malfunctions that inspired him to chuck the thing into a wall, still
functions great, er, aside from the intermittant video, failed modem, etc
etc