At 11:53 AM -0400 4/25/04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
At 12:41 AM -0400 04/25/2004, Dante McLean wrote:
Grandfather has a PBG3 of the earlier vintage. Currently running 9.2.2 which I installed about December/03, and uses a cardbus card to provide USB port for an epson printer. Recently started giving "Bus Error - Please restart with extensions off" bomb at startup.

Watch the extensions crawl. The one that crashed is the one that occurs alphabetically *after* the last one displayed. You need to figure out which that is and trash its prefs (essentially).

It can be the last extension that displays or any of the ones up to and including the next one that should display. An extension can cause a crash after it displays. Not all extensions through up an ICON so you can't be sure which one is the cause.

Rebooting Ext. Off, then a restart, gets the machine working no problem. However, the bomb happens again eventually, of course. Not sure about frequency, but I "fixed" the same problem Easter weekend, and it was back today. Machine lives on a desk, gets very light use for e-mail and browsing, so shouldn't be anything loose. Ideas as to the cause of this? Which "bus" is it?! Motherboard bus, loose cardbus card?

"Bus error" is a generic memory access failure. I/O devices are mapped to memory ports, so it could be a driver being unable to talk to a peripheral too. Could be software or hardware caused...

Generally speaking the specific error you get is meaningless. It's like your brakes fail and you smash into a wall and you get an error message that says "you've smashed into a wall". While it's accurate it is not the case, only the effect.

Have you tried restarting with just OS 9 Base or OS 9 All extensions selected, this is a good test as it eliminates third party extensions.

Also, just as an example of what to be thinking about, I had a computer choke on boot up and eventually traced it down to a bad font. The odd part is that disabling an extension cured it.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA