....agree 100%......Pismo with internal Airport card.
On May 17, 2004, at 4:10 PM, Andrew Kershaw wrote:

on 5/16/04 3:03 PM, G-Books at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

 Subject: ...WiFi why?.....
 Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 10:43:40 -0700

Good morning All, I live in the Seattle area and we have all of the
electronic and office big box stores, independent Apple dealers, and at
least two Apple Stores. I am getting ready to go home wireless with my
Pismo, and in reading the Sunday paper and all of the ads, my question
is this; why do I need Airport, when there are several name brand WiFi
routers on sale for less than $100.00? Aside from Apple loyalty, and
the "cool" factor, which may be negligent as the router is often in a
place where the casual visitor to your home may not see it and therefor
not be impressed by your "cool" factor, is there a compelling technical
factor for using an Airport over any of the other good products on the
market ? I have been a rabid Mac user since 1985 and love the "look
and feel" of the products and how they work, and work, and work!
Thanks Jim.

No compelling tech factor in my book. Go Linksys. Cheap, stackable, fast
and reliable.
The only compelling reason to buy an Apple router is it's integration with the software. Apple's AirPort utilities are pretty good. I've got a Linksys router, though, and I'm quite happy.

As for cards, speaking as someone who has internal cards and PC Card, there is MUCH to be said about having the card integrated into the computer. It doesn't stick out, there's no fear of catching it on something or breaking the antenna, etc. Quite nice, actually. Plus, on the Pismo and newer 'Books, you don't have to worry about hogging up the only PC Card slot you've got...

Peace,
Drew
--

Author of ClassicStumbler email: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> web: <http://www.alksoft.com/>

Visit the PowerBook 5300 FAQ!
<http://www.alksoft.com/5300_FAQ/>

Small Dog Electronics http://www.smalldog.com | Refurbished Drives |
-- Check our web site for refurbished PowerBooks | & CDRWs on Sale! |