On 5/17/04, Bob wrote:

>Jim,
>You might try an app called USB Overdrive (independent USB Drivers):
><http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=4701&db=mac>
>
>It seems to be primarily aimed at smaller USB devices like mice and
>gamepads. But it just might work with a keypad as well, It ought to
>worth a look-see.
>
>Good Luck.

Good suggestion, Bob, but I've already tried installing it. I'd used the
MacOS 9 version of USB Overdrive (works great there or even under
Classi), and downloaded the OS X version of USB-O, but it doesn't help
with the keypad under Jaguar and the Apple Calculator. My (IBM)
2-button-and-scrollwheel compact optical travel mouse (under $30 on
clearance at my local BestBuy) works fine without any drivers, and the
keypad will work in other apps (like TextEdit, AppleWorks, etc.).
However, it won't work in the Calculator that Apple makes.

Maybe I'm just hoping for too much. But then again, this wouldn't be the
first time Apple didn't follow their own guidelines for software. ;-)

But thanks for the suggestion. Maybe someone else will come up with
something that will make Apple's gizmo work.

Jim Rohde

One of life's greatest rules...
    you cannot hold a torch to light another's path
    without brightening your own.