The National Enquirer reports at 3:30 PM -0700 5/24/04, Clark Martin wrote:

>At 3:39 PM -0500 5/24/04, macnifico wrote:
> >Hello, fellow listers!
> >
> >I'm waiting for a WS 300 MHz with a 12 Mb HD.
> >Do I have to partition the HD into a 8 Mb and a 4 Mb partition if I
> >want to install OS X.2 & OS 9.2.1?
>
>Well, hopefully you'll get a 12Gb disk instead of a 12Mb disk :)
>
>Yes, the first partition will have to be 8Gb or less.

Clark is absolutely right. An exception would be if the H.D. is 8GB
or smaller, Then no partition is necessary. But that won't apply to
you.

I don't how other list members will feel about it. But I would
suggest installing OS 9.2.2 on the second partition (see below
regarding the first partition). That way you will be able to boot you
PB from different partitions, which can be handy in a number of
situations (i.e. you can't repair a boot partition).

If you do decide to install OS 9 on the second partition, **be sure**
to tell Disk Utility to install OS 9 drivers when you format and
partition your drive.

>It makes the most sense to be 8Gb.

I'm not sure what was being recommended here, but I strongly suggest
that you make your first partition slightly smaller than 8GB (7.9 for
instance). I've seen instances where WS II owners have had
installation problems with some versions of OS X when they tried to
install it on a full 8GB partition.

And just for clarity sake, OS X has to be installed on the **first**
8GB (or less) of your Wallstreet's H.D.

>12Gb will work for OS X and 9 but you might want to consider getting
>something larger so you have plenty of room to grow in.

I agree with Clark here too. As they say, you can never have too much
RAM or too much hard disk space. I would strongly recommend at least
20GB. "Inexpensive" is a relative term, but a new, high-quality 20GB
drive should be well under $100 these days.

Then pick up an inexpensive PCMCIA drive case and put your 12GB drive
in it and use it for backups.

HTH,

Bob