On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 03:52:18AM +0200, gf sciacca wrote:
:
: I'm now stuck with a OS X installer CD as the only device the Lombard will
: start up from, the HD has disappeared altogheter from the installer and
: disk utility options and is quite hot, which indicates some weird
: activity inside. The question now is: how do I force a shut down in order
: to pull out the HD? The computer won't start from any other bootable
: system I have on CD and won't start from external FireWire and SCSI
: either, it only accepts an OS X install CD and I can't find any option to
: shut down from it.
:
: I just summarise the background events for those who were following the
: thread and gave suggestions and anybody who could recognise some
: pathology:
: - Hitachi Travelstar 40GNX 40GB in a Lombard makes continuous seek-click
: noise when booted in the freshly installed OS X Panther partition. Normal
: behaviour when booted in the OS 9 partition. Disc usage is less than 10%

If your hard drive is continually making clicking sounds whiled booted
into OS X, even though it doesn't do so in OS 9, it should be replaced
ASAP, IMO.  It's under warranty, so get yourself a new drive and a new
lease on hard drive life.

: - tried to wipe the OS X partition and installed Jaguar on it. Normal
: behaviour, no clicking noise, HD runs cool and fine.
: - tried to install Panther in the OS 9 partition (no additional software
: installations): normal HD behaviour, runs cool, no noise
: - cloned the original Panther setup back onto the wiped OS X partition:
: clicking noise is back

If you are not ready to replace the hard drive, I would reformat the
drive, install OS 9, install Panther, and then copy only *your* stuff
from your old Panther backup (avoid cloning).

--
Eugene Lee