On 28/05/04 09:35, "Tom Burke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Last night my daughter's Lombard appeared to give up the ghost. It just
> stopped dead - no sign of life at all - and would not restart - no
> chimes. Plus, when I lifted off the keyboard there was a smell of
> electrical burning.
>
> Today it'll power up, but it won't boot - I just get the flashing
> folder / question mark icon. I have done the following things:- a)
> reset the pram; b) reset the nvram, having booted into open firmware;
> c) reset the PMU. I've also tried using Disk Utility via an
> installation disk, but the only disk that Disk Utility shows is the
> installation CD; it can't see the installed HD either.
>
> I suspect that the Lombard is dead, but I was just wondering if anyone
> could diagnose what the fault might be. Last night I was convinced it
> must be a power issue, today the power side of things appears to be OK
> and the issue seems to be with the HDD.
>
> System is a 333Mhz Lombard, 256 Mb Ram, OS X 10.2.8, and a Toshiba 20
> Gb HD.

I'm confused. You're saying it's dead bu then, later, that the Disk Utility
from the installation CD sees only the installation CD. So, it's not
completely dead, is it? If you can boot from a system or installation CD,
and if Disk Utility can't see the internal hard drive, then it seems pretty
clear that the internal drive is toasted, hence the smell...

-Laurent.