If an item is not seen at all in profiler, either the pci bus is shot or the card is
shot, drivers or no.  If it works but has no drivers, it will show up as an unknown in
profiler.  If it works and has drivers, shows up and is identified.  Actually, this is
also true of all ports and connections in X.  X is not spotty in my experience, and
actually rather functional.