Thanks Jim,

I was wondering if the Pismo was trying to tell me something ...

I actually thought of reseating the cards (Ram and processor daughtercard)
but I got stalled at removing the heatsink ... seems my electronics workshop
friends (since moved on) used brute force to tighten one of the screws so that
I have to find a decent screwdriver (and luck) to untighten it without doing
damage to the Pismo ... sigh! 8-(

For now, it seems that if I power down (rather than put to sleep) the Pismo
it takes only a few ctrl-command-power attempts to boot up (though this morning
it was sufficient to hit the power on button once and it started up nicely!).

I wonder if the fact that all the batteries are (near) dead (main & PRAM)
cause some corruption of the memory (?) and may have something to do with the
(rare) flashing symptons too ... or is just an intermittent fault.

Well I've ordered an exchange main battery from Apple for A$230 ($US160)
(which is presumably a repackaged "fresh" one) though I also have some thoughts
of ordering a longer life one from a suitable distributor in the USA ...

I suppose I should also replace the PRAM battery ...

Thanks to all, 8-)
Harry.