My own 1-GHz iBook is absolutely no problem but my daughter is visiting friends and
she emailed me to ask about an iBook there (new 12" iBook from about 7 months ago)
that is so S-L-O-W that there is a lapse of three or four seconds before commands are
recognised in the Finder. Windows are very slow to open and close and the computer
waits before acting out every Finder command.

It is running OS 10.2.8. I have no idea if keyboard commands and typing are slow to
act and appear as well.

What would cause this ??

Any ideas ??

Is it worth the effort to try to repair or track down corrupted fonts if that is a
problem, or should she just wipe and re-install the system to rule out software
issues??