Actually, as a long-time trackpad-hater and IBM TrackPoint fan, why not just
get rid of the trackpad altogether and let Apple inovate something new?  The
original PB 100 was so cool because unlike the clip-on mice of the
competition, it had a wonderful trackball built-in.  The 500-series were
cool because they introduced the touchpad (woe be to us), and now, a decade
later, we have, the same, ergonomically dismal trackpad.

Something along the lines of the IBM eraserhead, only easier to use,
retaining the ability to tap but without the huge square of touch-sensitive
whatever the hell its made of to be accidentally touched.  I'm just
dreaming, but as a trackpad-hater and Mac-fan, that's all I can do.

Andrew