on 08/06/04 20:53, Leon C. Webster at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am a java developer who is thinking of "switching".  I would like to hear
> reports from other developers who develop on a Powerbook rather than on
> Windows (I work for a windows-centric client), or on Linux (which I
> currently run on an aging ThinkPad).
>
> Specifically,
>
> *what tools do you use?  Eclipse?  Intellij? something else?   How about
> J2EE frameworks and application servers (for development)?  Does anyone use
> BBEdit?
>
> When do you think the JDK 1.5 vill be available for the Mac?  What is the
> lag time between Windows Availability and  and Mac availability for JDKs?

Hi!

I've been using Eclipse for Mac OS X sporadically and had a very good
experience with it. That's on (a now) lowly PowerBook G3 500MHz. I was also
able to install and run WebLogic Workshop and Server 8.1sp2 on my PowerBook.
These were not too easy but I managed to configure and set them up
correctly. JEdit has also a Mac OS X version that runs pretty well. Tomcat
is already available on OS X and you can use Xcode to do development for it,
although I've never done it myself.

I'm sure that JDK 1.5 will be available quickly after the Windows release.
Apple have a pretty good track so far to provide the latest version of the
JDK. If you become an Apple Developer Connection member, you can often
download and try pre-release versions of the upcoming JDKs.

All and all, with its Unix-based roots and the suite of productivity
software available, I think that Mac OS X is the best Java development
platform!

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

foo /foo/ 1. interj. Term of disgust. 2. [very common] Used very generally
as a sample name for absolutely anything, esp. programs and files (esp.
scratch files). 3. First on the standard list of metasyntactic variables
used in syntax examples. See also bar, baz, qux, quux, corge, grault,
garply, waldo, fred, plugh, xyzzy, thud.