Hi Ken and all.

I would have to suggest that you avoid BTI batteries. I have found that their batteries don't provide the run time that Apple batteries do, and they certainly do not accurately report their remaining charge! From 4 hrs remaining to 1:30 in an hour, then to 4 min in a flash on my Lombard and about the same in Clamshell iBooks. Also, they do not seem to last a year, regardless of use. They all seem to die the same way in that they just are not recognized by the machine or that they refuse to charge. Luckily the warranty is 1 year, however BTI's return policy is rather interesting in that you must FAX them the original invoice in your name and a cover letter to receive an RMA and instructions on shipping them the defective product. They will then inspect and repair/replace the battery at their discretion and return it to you.

I've been lucky in that the local dealers are willing to order in a battery (takes about a week) and then exchange it. 3 iBook batteries have died under warranty and now the one for my Lombard is dead, just inside the 1 year period... If the warranty isn't approved for my battery, I'm going to order a high capacity battery from OWC.

While it is great that BTI appears to be good at honoring their warranty, and that their dealers (that I've dealt with) are willing to do the leg work for the customers, it is a bother to know that I'll be without a battery for a couple of weeks every year, would have to buy another battery to remain truly mobile during that period, and that I should actually have that second BTI battery to get a decent run time.

That is how I've seen it anyways...  [;^)
HTH
Dave