On Jun 9, 2004, at 9:51 AM, Timothy Luoma wrote:

I noticed today while I was using it that my hands were getting hot. I had
not noticed this before. I am using the PB on my desk with nothing under
it, and it is running about 131F / 55C.

Is that "normal"?

I think that depends on what's running and for how long. If you keep Activity Monitor open (even just with the small floating CPU window showing), I think you'll find a direct correlation between CPU usage and temperature. Some applications, like MS Word, seem to use the CPU a lot, and some web sites do as well.

Right now, with CPU usage pretty low, I'm reading 119.8F on my 15" AlBook. When I was using ThermographX (before it stopped working with the latest OS updates) I often saw temps (from some of 4 different sensors) as high or higher than what you mention above.

I use CoolPads ("Podium" on my desk, and the smaller travel one elsewhere) to keep more air circulating below and around the PB. It's definitely too hot for my legs when used that way, and the CoolPad (although not designed for the lap) helps, although my legs still get warm.

Regards,

Harry Corsover

    Harry Corsover, Independent Business Owner
        CyberWize: The Home Business Solution
        Amazing Travel * Health * Tax Benefits
           <http://www.hc.cyberwize.com>
      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> * 877-507-9562