Hi Folks

As I mentioned previously, my Pismo (Powerbook G3 (Firewire), 400Mhz/512MB/40GB)
is suffering from a sleeping (i.e. not waking up) and booting (i.e. not booting up)
malady though to be precise the hard disk seems to turn on fine (as I hear it hum)
but nothing pops up on the screen and no chime occurs. I have no real clue but
suspects include the main battery, PRAM battery,
PMU and any other parts involved in booting and sleeping ...

1. One previous suggestion was to reseat the memory and daughtercard but
the fact that the Pismo eventually boots from AC (after overnight, some 8 hours without
power attached ) makes me wonder about other suspects ...

2. I thought if I replaced the worn out main battery (LiIon) it might help but it
didn't ... in any case it runs well on AC power (once booted up ...).

3. I then thought it might be the PRAM battery is worn out ... maybe it is
though I removed it and tested it with a voltmeter and it read 6.4 Volts
but of course I didn't wait any time to see how long it held that
charge ... could it be worn out too? But in any case even when it was
charged up it didn't boot the machine up ... but perhaps it loses charge
after being left overnight and then the PRAM is in some default state
allowing reboot ??? I also borrowed a working Pismo 500Mhz (damaged screen, poor thing!)
and swapped PRAM batteries and mine still didn't boot whereas the Pismo 500Mhz did
on my PRAM battery ...

4. Once booted up ... putting it to sleep is usually permanent (no screen waking up
though the keyboard lights are live, and hard disk hums) ... and reboots do
not usually bring the screen up either ... I generally have to do some
magic (not sure what works) ... reset the Pismo using the rear button, remove
battery, and try to reboot from AC ... sometimes it works after some hours left alone.

I'm lucky (?) I extended my AppleCare ... so I will put it in for service soon
but I hate to be without it and I need to backup regularly (in case the service folk
kill the drive ... hmmm ... could it be a drive problem ... I installed a 40GB Travelstar
in late 2002 ... but it seems to run fine ...)

Sorry about the length, it is still a mystery to me (I hoped it was just a PRAM
battery problem since I occasionally lose dates)

Thanks for any help and suggestions,

Regards
Harry. (DownUnder in Canberra which is getting chilly! Snow in the Mountains!)