The National Enquirer reports at 10:36 PM -0700 6/21/04, Clark Martin wrote:

>At 7:02 PM -0600 6/21/04, Bob wrote:
>
> >There's no question whether the sourceforge driver works or not, it's
> >just a matter of limitations and how many there are. I was busy
> >slaying dragons last night and ran across the answers to my
> >questions. The thing that makes this driver difficult is that it's
> >open source and is constantly being improved. So, what might have
> >been true (and logged as such) 3 or 4 weeks ago, may not necessarily
> >be true today.
>

>3 or 4 weeks????  I've been using the latest version of the driver,
>1.0.0b5, for over a year now.  The info page was last updated over
>two years ago.

Yeah, I know. The documentation with the driver is for OS 10.1. :-)

But I was actually referring to *my* logging of information, which
also comes from input from other users (like this list, for
instance). So -- hypothetically speaking -- what you or I may say
about an open source item may not still be true several weeks or
months from now, depending on how much activity there is in its
improvement.

Even though FreePPP wasn't open source (but freeware), I remember how
quickly changes occurred in it during one particular stretch of time.

>If you know of a newer version I'd be happy to hear about it!

I'm not in X right, but I think I'm using b5 or b5.1.

> >Nonetheless, this is the information they are expounding currently:
> >
> >* The driver supports AppleTalk over IP but will not yet allow
> >printing to AppleTalk printers. We are working to fix this. To
> >connect to other Macs type: afp://ip-address in the connect to server
> >dialog (e.g. afp://10.0.1.3).
>

>afp://ip-address is not AppleTalk over IP, it's AppleSHARE over IP.
>Big difference.  AppleShare can be used over AppleTalk or over IP but
>it's not AppleTalk over IP.  You can do AppleTalk over IP but it's
>something else altogether.

Their explanation, not mine. But thanks for the clarification. It's
beginning to look more and more like the IOXperts driver is a much
better choice.

Thanks Clark,

Bob