<<
An acquaintance of mine came into possession of a 700-MHz 12.1"  G3 iBook
with a broken screen. The people at the Apple store plugged it into a monitor and
adapter and found out that it works, at least! They didn't tell him much
more, at least that he remembers, including which of the two 12.1" 700's it is.
But I'll be getting together with him in a couple of hours and will, hopefully,
be able to start it up with one of my monitors.

Question 1: Which power adapter is used with this model? Is it the Yo-Yo one
used with the earlier iBooks or the square one used with the G4's?

Question 2: Is it possible to remove the top (or a sub-assembly thereof) from
another iBook (perhaps one that's got other damage) and attach it to this
one? I've done it with 5300's, but never with anything more recent. If it is
possible, could I also do it with the top of any earlier, slower iBook? Which
models?

(1)  I don't know if the "yo-yo" style has the same specs and can substitute,
but these are the specs on my 2 snow iBooks, which both have the white
square-shaped AC adapters:
2001 snow dual USB G3/600, using M8482  (output 24V @ 1.875A)
2002 snow dual USB G3/700, using A1021  (output 24.5V @ 2.65A)
They appear to be interchangeable.

(2)  Yes, you CAN replace the monitor, but be VERY wary that you have plenty
of the right pictorial instructions and tiny tools before you attempt it.
About 18 months ago, I acquired the 2001 at the flea market, knowing someone had
put a boot heel through the middle of the screen.  It would power up and show
the image around the outside, but (of course) the middle was broken out.  I
bought a replacement (LCD only - not the entire top) for $100 + s/h off eBay,
and followed the repair CD visuals with a half-dozen VERY tiny tools and 2 ice
trays for tiny parts.  During the time it was spread out, these were what I had
on the table:  laptop internal frame (with CD, hard drive, mobo, etc., still
attached), bottom cover, top cover, top shield, keyboard, memory SODIMM,
memory cover panel, various strips of expensive (and fragile) metallic tape, the
parts of the top half, and 45 screws and tiny parts in the trays.  The LARGEST
tool needed is a Phillips #0 screw driver from a watchmaker tool set, unless
you count the 1/4" flat plastic blade used to carefully separate the case covers
from the frame.

The 2002 was acquired a few weeks ago with "sleeping sickness".  A bad wire
in the right hinge causes it to go into sleep mode at the slightest touch.  It
is now open awaiting repairs.  I counted the parts from this job to get the
total above.

Try this ONLY if you have steady hands - and no small hands grabbing !  Note
that the monitor is about halfway down the disassembly list.  It can't be done
without removing a great many other parts first.

(3)  Can a different monitor panel be substituted ?  I doubt it very much.
Apple used quite different hinge and wiring systems with its various models.  I
have rebuilt a 5300 monitor as well.  If you've worked on a 5300, you've
experienced kindergarten with large blocks.  This is tweezers and magnifier
territory.  Do it only if you don't mind having to have it redone by a pro later,
BUT IT IS GOOD FUN if you have the patience.

Richard in deep-south Texas (hobby only)