On 20 Jun 2004, at 20:02, G-Books wrote:

Hello All,

I'm using my 17" PB  3/4 of the time as a desktop machine connected to
the power adaptor. I read somewhere that it would prolong battery life
if you removed the battery when connected to the adaptor. The battery
would not be continuously charged.

The battery is not continuously charged. I have a co-worker with a new
PowerBook 17". I did notice that, even when the adaptor is connected, his
battery charge will decrease. I asked him about it and he said that,
starting with OS X 10.3.4, the charging part of the OS will wait for the
battery to be down to about 94% of its capacity before it will
trickle-charge it, so that it doesn't wear out the battery prematurely. As
you may or may not know, what will wear out a Li-Ion battery is the number
of charge cycles, or so I was told.

-Laurent.

Thank you Laurent, that is good to know and sorry for the late reaction, I have been out of town.

Another bad influence appears to be the temperature. When the laptop is attached to the power adaptor and folding 24 hours a day the rear bottom part stays rather hot. Temperature seems to be a negative influence on the life of the battery. IMO there are only two choices; stop folding or remove the battery when the PB is used in desktop mode.

Here is the lowdown I found on Lithium based batteries;

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Greetings, Andre.