On Jul 8, 2004, at 2:11 AM, invicta wrote:

Hello All,

Elgato 300 is a firewire digital videorecorder working with satellite TV. You can have TV on your Mac, record the program on your HD and edit same before burning a DVD.

Sounds like a nice toy but before I buy I would like to hear if any of you have had experience with this machine and what was your conclusion.

Reactions are solicited.

TIA, greetings, Andre.

Hello,

All Elgato products are awsome. . .BUT be sure to read the system requirements for each EyeTV. These devices require an enormous amount of HDD space to record shows. I use the EyeTV USB model, which uses 640 megs for a one hour episode of Alias or 330 megs for a 30 minutes episode of Family Guy. (As you can see, I use mine for QUALITY entertainment. . .hehe.) Anyway, the newer firewire models require a minimum of an average of 2 gigs of space for your typical show, so keep that in mind, and you really need a min of a G4 500 to get decent performance out of it. These are but a few examples as to why I went with the lesser USB model. The only real cool thing about the 300 is the DVB-S digital broadcast tuner. The only downside to this is availability. It's not in my area yet. . .so if you get one and it is, let me know how the signal is, etc.

Zoltan THE BLUETOOTH MASTER

Small Dog Electronics http://www.smalldog.com | Refurbished Drives |
-- Check our web site for refurbished PowerBooks | & CDRWs on Sale! |