On Jul 9, 2004, at 7:56 AM, Tom Burke wrote:

Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 17:01:29 -0500
Subject: Re: iBook G3
From: Thomas Ethen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I am looking for a 12" iBook 600/700/800 with a CD/DVD drive and would like
to know what the going price for this setup is right now. I only need it for
traveling and have no interest in one of the new faster models.

Thanks
Tom

I think you'll have to rely on luck to find one of these. There weren't many 12" G3 iBooks with DVD drive; mostly they were fitted with plain CDs. This was one of the enhancements that came in with the G4 range. DVDs were available on the 14" G3 iBooks.

Actually, that's not entirely true. While the "low-end" iBooks were offered with CD only drives, there were 12" models with DVD or Combo drives available at every revision as well. I currently have a 600mHz and a 900mHz G3 iBook with Combo drives. They're readily available on eBay and are pretty cheap. Most of the ones left at resellers will be the CD version as they were the cheapest and slowest selling models. Apple kept them around to have an entry level machine at a good price point.

To be truthful, my feeling is that you'd be better off looking for a s/hand 12" G4 iBook; the 800 Mhz ones from the beginning of this year are beginning to show up s/hand now, and they are very, very good. Considerably better, IMHO, than the G3 iBooks: G4, of course; DVD; Airport Extreme; nicer keyboard; and it's believed they're free of the motherboard problems that have beset the G3 iBooks. They do cost a bit more, but one result of the reduction of new prices over the last couple of years is that second-hand prices have also been compressed; a 4 month-old 800Mhz G4 iBook won't cost that much more than a 12-month old G3 iBook.

I'd have to agree with you here. You can probably get an 800mHz G4 iBook for a few $$ more than an 800-900mHz G3 one. The benefits noted above are real as well. The only downside is that OS 9 is only available in Classic on the G4 models. Make sure you get a DVD version though. Apple made G4 CD only iBooks as well.

-Hal