On Jul 13, 2004,Laurent Daudelin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Dan,

If you don't have an account with the same short (or login) name on the
remote computer, you'll have issues with permissions all the time.

If you really need to do it, then make sure that the files on your Mac are
set to be read/write by others. Make sure that you can write to the
destination folder on the remote Macintosh. You can try to manually copy one
item from the location you want to backup to the remote folder in the
Finder. Then, check the resulting file on the remote computer. If the file
is fine, then any sync program should be able to do the job, unless they try
to mess up with the permissions.

Have you tried my synchronization tool?

-Laurent.

Laurent,

Thanks for the response, your download is in its way to my desktop.

I do have an account with the same login name and password on the remote computer. I started to copy a file manually to the external drive and checked the permissions before so I could compare them after. Which brought up another question. When I used SilverKeeper I backed up, then restored from the external after erasing my internal hard drive. This really messed up my permissions. The problem it gave me was changing files that I owned and giving ownership to "system" and then locking them. Now when I checked the permissions on my "test" file, it was owned by "system".

Is there a easy way to know what kind of files should be owned by "system" and which ones owned by "dan"?

Does it matter?

On several large folders of multiple jpeg files I just used the chown command and changed them all to my ownership. The tech at SilverKeeper said that should be OK for data files. Anyone with any answers?

In the meantime I'll give Laurent's File Synchronization a shot...

Thanks!

Dan-