On 14/07/04 09:31, "Greg Gilmore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Since my daughter has decided to continue her college education online,
> weıre finally going to make the leap from 56K to broadband, and to obviate
> running cables between the 4 Macs that are regularly used for internet
> access throughout the house, weıll make a simultaneous leap to wireless. I,
> however, donıt know much about it and would be very grateful for your advice
> about what we need to buy in order to bring the following machines up to
> speed:
>
> 1) PowerBook G4/667MHz/OS 10.2. (Iım pretty sure this machine is ³Airport
> ready², but the card is probably 802.11b, right? Iıd probably want the newer
> 802.11g technology on this one. Is it difficult and/or expensive to
> upgrade?)
> 2) iBook G3/700 MHz/OS 10.2. (This one doesnıt appear to be ³Airport ready²,
> but maybe Iım not looking in the right places. Weıd want 802.11g for this
> one as well.)
> 3) PowerBook G3 (Lombard)/400 MHz/OS 9.2.2 (Definitely not ³Airport ready².
> This machine is used primarily for email so an 802.11b card should be
> sufficient, if it can be fitted with one. If so, would the 802.11b card from
> the G4 PowerBook work here?)
> 4) iMac/350 MHz/OS 9.2.2 (Definitely not ³Airport ready², but I guess this
> would be the machine which would connected to the cable modem via Ethernet
> anyway.)
>
> Sorry, two of these machines would be O.T. for this list, but theyıll all be
> networked together. Comcast offers internet cable service in this area but I
> need to make sure theyıre compatible with Airport.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to consider our questions.
>
> Greg

Greg,

For all the above Mac, you will need a 802.11g PCMCIA card. You won't be
able to use an Apple AirPort Extreme card in those. However, the iBook and
the iMac don't have a slot for a PCMCIA card, so you'll never be able to
have 802.11g on those. The only option of the iBook is the regular Apple
AirPort card. The next problem you might face is the lack of a driver for
such a card. I don't know if there is any driver available either for 9 or
X. That might be your biggest problem.

-Laurent.