On Jul 16, 2004, at 1:43 PM, Marcin Wichary wrote:

True enough; but you're probably not going to get the full speed your
cable/dsl company promises you either.  ;)

I would disagree here... Since I started with dial-up in 1997 I always got the exact maximum speed as given in the contract (that's why I commented on this, maybe I should've been more specific). Right now I have promised half a megabit from my DSL modem, and I indeed can get 60something KBps. When I was working for an ISP company earlier, we learnt the lesson very quickly and ALWAYS informed customers about the realistic speeds they would get from a given connection... otherwise things got rather nasty rather quick.

Consider yourself lucky. As you know, the overall connection speed varies to where the customer lives, the type of connectivity, etc. I've been promised "up to" 3M down and 384k up. My actual connection is usually 1.2M down and only 128K up. Luckily, I'm one of the few customers that understands the importance of those two key words in my contract. . ."up to". :)

THE BLUETOOTH MASTER