macnifico wrote:

Why can't I hear the reassuring sound of the Mac chord as the computer turns on?

Best regards.
macnifico
Saludos desde Reynosa, Tamaulipas, Mexico!

Two possibilities....Are your speakers turned on with the volume turned up? Also, zap the PRam when you start up...something may have gotten corrupted and resetting the PRam should do it..If no joy after checking/zapping I would run a copy of Disk Warrior.
HTH...Regards,
Mike K
WARNING: Concerning zapping the PRam...I would do that very sparingly...It sends a surge through the system and heavy use of this COULD cause damage to the motherboard...This according to techs at AppleCare who told me this past week that my iMac's intermittent failure to get past the grey screen in 10.3.4 was caused by this tactic....