<<

It seems the internal CD-ROM drive in my Wall Street

PB is shot but I have an external (SCSI) CD-R/W drive

and bootable disks of course (I was thinking of Disk

Warrior in this case).

Holding down the "C" key on startup didn't work

(is this only for the internal CD-ROM drive?)

The <C> key forces startup preference to address the internal CD (if
present).  To force startup preference to address the external BUS, use a set of 4
keys:  <SHIFT> <OPTION> <COMMAND/APPLE> <DELETE>, held until the happy-Mac screen
shows.  Whatever is on the BUS - and is powered up - should receive
preferential treatment as the startup drive.  This is an old programmers' trick from 2
decades or more ago.  I remember using it to boot from an external SCSI hard
drive (a whopping 40 MBs !) to kick-start an early classic, and was using the
same code sequence just this week on a Beige G3 ( with a puny 9 GB external
drive !).

Richard in deep-south Texas