From: Dan Colwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Hoju Han <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Previously, temperature monitoring (using the TAU on the PowerPC 750)
indicated
a temperature of around 30-40 Celsius. However, with the new CPU
installed,
I am getting CPU TAU readings of 90-114 Celsius (The internal IBM 40GB
GN
Travelstar disk with SMART monitoring has temperatures of 25-45
Celsius).

Just a thought here, those numbers (30-40 as compared to 90-114) are
suspiciously close to what a conversion from celsius to fahrenheit
would give. Since I work with pilots I have to refer to the conversion
charts frequently. Any chance the second set could be in fahrenheit?

My Pismo 400MHz with a 40G Travelstar is at present operating with a
CPU temperature of 118 Fahrenheit  and a SMART monitor temperature of
109 Fahrenheit. (and now I think I might be able to remember how to
spell Fahrenheit...)

Hi Dan,

Sorry no such luck ... current temperatures output from Temperature Monitor
are 88C (190F) and 39C (102F) for the 400Mhz CPU and the SMART 40GB
Travelstar Drive, respectively. Before the CPU was replaced under AppleCare
the old 400Mhz CPU was listing at around 30-40C (less than half as much).

I suspect it might be a calibration problem for the TAU and that the temperature
output on this new CPU bares little resemblance to reality (but I just want
to make sure as temperatures of 90-105C are a little warmer than I would like).
Perhaps the new IBM CPU isn't calibrated as well as the old part.
A PDF at the site (sorry about the long broken URL):
www-306.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/techdocs/
730050B2CD2C7C8487256ADD0061F729/$file/TAU_Calibration_10s.pdf
indicates the lengths necessary to get a PowerPC 750 TAU calibrated.

So far my Pismo has been running fine for a couple of weeks so perhaps it
is not a real problem ( I hope ..).

Thanks,
Harry.