on 03/08/04 00:10, W. David Stephenson at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi. My Pis worked like a dream for 3 years until two weeks ago, on
> vacation, when it developed all sorts of problems:
>
>  * it's taken me ages to type this short message, because I'll
>    suddenly find myself typing in the midst of the last  paragraph,
>    or (this is a first) in a smaller font size
>  * the trackball won't work -- had to buy a mouse
>  * the power cable is loose: one minute it seems I'm  on AC, and the
>    next, I'm on reserve power.

You might have to replace the top case which hoses the trackball and the
little circuit for the trackball. You might be accidentally triggering
command with the trackpad if it doesn't work properly without you knowing. I
had a similar issue with mine and had to replace that top case. Fortunately,
that part is not very expensive on eBay. I've got mine for $10.
Unfortunately, to replace the top case, you have to completely disassemble
the Pismo, which is not for the faint of heart...

As for your power problem, the solder on the AC/sound board is probably
loose and you would have to re-solder it.

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

buzzword-compliant: [also `buzzword-enabled'] Used (disparagingly) of
products that seem to have been specified to incorporate all of this month's
trendy technologies. Key buzzwords that often show up in buzzword-compliant
specifications as of 2001 include `XML', `Java', `peer-to-peer',
`distributed', and `open'.