Just got a new 14" G4 iBook. Also have an older 12" Dual-USB G3 iBook.

On the G3, Keychain has been driving my crazy for months. All efforts to get
it to run properly failed so I decided to wipe the HD clean and
re-install/restore the system software.

Then came the idea: why not use the CDs that came with the G4, because the
OS on them was 10.3.3. If I started with the G3 restore software, I would
have to start from OS 10.1.0 and work forward, using Software Update and it
would take me forever. Using the G4 CDs would save me lots of downloads.

Seems that was a BAD IDEA!

First I backed up everything on the G3 to an external FireWire HD, using
Disk Utility's Restore function. (I'm not totally brain dead, folks).

Then popped in an OS X CD and started up the G3, went to Disk Utility and
erased the hard drive.

Then restarted, using the first of the two G4 Software Install disks....
which the G3 chewed on for awhile, then spit !  out.

Then popped in the second one.... and again the G3 spit it out.

So, admitting defeat, I restarted from CD 1 of the G3's original Software
Restore disks.

Here's where I got completely stumped:

I get a window in the middle of my screen and no menu bar across the top of
the desktop.

Window is labeled: ASR

Two boxes across the top. One says iBook HD Disk 1.dmg.

Other says: Apple Software Restore completely erases the contents of your
hard drive before restoring the original contents, including the original
system software, etc.

In the middle is an icon labeled Destination Disk and it's labeled Restore
Image

To the right are choices for Eject Disk and Switch Disk

Hitting either Eject Disk or Switch Disk simple switches back and forth
between Restore Image and iBook Restore CD.

As you switch back and forth, the message below says one then the other
"cannot be restored".

You are left with one choice, QUIT, as RESTORE, the other option, is  grayed
out.

Any suggestions re what to try next, folks???

Many thanks,
bob